Saturday, May 24, 2014

Breakfast Scramble: Easy, Delicious, Healthy

Last Sunday I boiled two Russet potatoes in their skin to use in a recipe. I never got to making the dish so I covered the potatoes in plastic wrap and saved them in the fridge not knowing what to do with them.
On Tuesday morning, after my workout, I suddenly realized my fridge was full of things I could put into a frying pan and something interesting might materialize. So here is what materialized:

Ingredients:
1 egg or 3 egg whites
1/3 potatoes, boiled, peeled and chopped or crumbled
1 cup of spinach, ripped into smaller pieces
1/3 tomato, chopped
1-2 tbsp onion, chopped
2 tsp butter
salt

Method:
1. In a medium heat frying pan, melt the butter and throw in the onions for 2 minutes.
2. When onions are soft and aromatic, add tomatoes. Cook 2 minutes.
3. Add the spinach and stir till it wilts. Add salt to taste.

Your vegetables are cooked. All you need to do is cook the egg.

4. Crack the egg or egg whites (use egg whites for a protein boost) over the vegetables, stir into the vegetables and cook for 1 minute. The eggs will still be undercooked. Turn off the heat and cover your frying pan to cook the eggs in the residual heat of your electric heating element or the heat from the vegetables.

This is a phenomenally tasty dish. A treat first thing in the morning. It took me 6 minutes to prepare from start to finish because I cut up the onions and tomatoes while the pan was heating up and the butter was melting. I tore the spinach directly above the frying pan so I didn't need to waste any time prepping that. The 1/3 potato was also something I just crumbled over the frying pan. And the result was absolutely phenomenal.

Not only is this a great post-workout meal with proteins you can boost by varying how many egg whites you want to add, it's a delicious way to incorporate 1 entire cup of spinach into your breakfast with almost no effort.

Don't want the potatoes? Skip it. Make it a low glycemic breakfast and have an orange or an apple to add some complex carbs.

I still can't get over how someone like me who struggles to get out of bed on time, let alone pour milk in a bowl to put cereal into, could make something this is a delicious and healthy in so little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment